Licence Renewal Guidelines
• It is your responsibility to ensure your renewal is received by the SCO Office by April 1st.
• Members can renew online through our website. We will still continue to accept paper applications. A step by step guide to online renewals is included in your renewal package.
• Payments: We accept Cheque/Money Order/Visa/MasterCard/Discover and now we accept Interac e-transfer. There is a 5% service charge with card payments. Please make cheques and money orders payable to Saskatchewan College of Opticians. If you want to pay through an Interac e-transfer, choose to pay via "E-transfer" and go to your online banking website to order an e-transfer. Send the e-transfer to email@example.com and make the secret code your login password.
• Practicing members must submit proof of Liability Insurance with your renewal each year.
You are free to acquire liability insurance from any insurer of your choice. Some
popular options are from Cherry Insurance
who offers a $1 million liability for $50
annually. If you have OAC
membership, liability insurance is included with your
membership. Another option is from Lloyds
. Some employers
provide liability insurance on their corporate plans. Please ensure you submit a copy of
your insurance certificate with your renewal.
• Applications received without payment or proof of insurance will not be processed.
• It is necessary for practicing members to have their Continuing Education Credits up to date in order to renew their licence. A statement of your Continuing Education Credits is included with your renewal package. Credits can be submitted to the SCO office by fax, mail or email.
• We will use your photo from last year unless a new one is submitted with your renewal form.
• Late Payment Fees of $75 will apply to all applications received on April 2nd or later.
• Any member who has not renewed by April 1st is unlicensed and is not allowed to practice. Members, who have not renewed by April 1st, will be notified in accordance with the Regulatory Bylaws that their licence has expired and will also be advised at that time of the date that they will be removed from the Register should they remain unlicensed.
• Members that have been removed from the Register and wishing to be reinstated, will be subject to the re-licensing requirements as set out in the Administrative Bylaws i.e. the normal licence fee, plus a penalty of a lapse fee equal to the licence fee, and a re- registration fee of $100.
• We are encouraging members to receive correspondence from the College by email. Please choose your preferred communication method when completing the renewal form. Should you not choose a method on the renewal form, correspondence will be sent by email.